[Adapt] Adapters: Please attend this talk

Kenny Zhu kzhu at cs.sjtu.edu.cn
Mon Apr 22 08:30:24 CST 2013

Talk Title: Run-Time Enforcement of Information-Flow Properties on Android
Time: Tuesday, April 23, 2 PM
Venue: Room 3-414

Abstract:
I will talk about improving Android's permission system to prevent
confused-deputy attacks and information leakage.  Our system permits
Android applications to be concisely annotated with information-flow
policies by either the programmers or security analysts. We develop a
detailed model of our enforcement system using a process calculus, and
use the model to prove noninterference.  Our system and model have a
number of useful or novel features, including support for Android's
single- and multiple-instance components, floating labels,
declassification and endorsement capabilities, and support for legacy
applications.  Our system design fits the Android programming model
and runtime cleanly enough that we have developed a fully functional
prototype on Android 4.0.4.  We have tested our prototype on a Nexus S
phone, verifying that it can enforce practically useful policies that
can be implemented with minimal modification to off-the-shelf
applications.

Bio: Limin Jia is a Research Systems Scientist at CyLab at Carnegie
Mellon University. She received her Ph.D. in Computer Science from
Princeton University.  Her research interests include programming
languages, language-based security, logic, and program
verification. At CyLab, Limin's research focuses on formal aspects of
security. She is particularly interested in applying language-based
security techniques as well as formal logic to model and verify
security properties of software systems.