[Adapt] Synthesizing String Transformations from Input-Output Examples

Xiao Jia stfairy at gmail.com
Wed May 29 00:11:19 CST 2013

Hi guys,

In the seminar this Wednesday, I will talk about Synthesizing String Transformations from Input-Output Examples, which is the topic of my bachelor thesis.

Program synthesis is the task of discovering an executable program from user intent expressed in the form of some constraints.  Ideally, it only involves stating *what* is to be computed, but not necessarily *how* it is to be computed.  The synthesized programs are correct-by-construction, without the errors associated with low-level programming details.  Despite holding the promise of significantly easing the task of programming, it has received little attention due to its difficulty.

In my thesis, the problem of synthesizing string manipulation programs using input-output examples is studied.  I will show you a motivating example, the related work, and how our approach is built on top of existing methods.

Some preliminary knowledge is required to fully understand this talk, including basic set theory and awareness of automata theory and dynamic programming techniques.

Regards,
Xiao Jia