[Adapt] Welcome to Fall Semester, 2016-2017 Acad Year!

Kenny Zhu kzhu at cs.sjtu.edu.cn
Thu Sep 8 21:16:12 CST 2016

Dear ADAPTers,

Welcome back! I hope you all had a wonderful summer break. For many of you,
thank you for working side by side with me during summer. Let's hope that
our work will pay off in the coming paper season. For this new academic
year, let's welcome four new graduate students: Yizhu Liu (PhD), Frank Xu
(Msc), Yuding Liang (MSc) and Yangyang Tang (MSc). Please say hi to them in
the lab! With the incoming new grad students, Room 341 will become very
packed. As a result, undergraduates who use to sit in there might need to be
relocated. For those of you undergrads who want to have a fixed lab seat,
please contact me and I will allocate a desk to you in Room 329 (our
overflow buffer) if space permits. However, as always, if you do get a seat,
please ensure that you spend at least two hours a day in the lab because our
resources are scarce.

As always, we will have a weekly group seminar every Wednesday 4:30 pm -
5:30 pm in Room 03-528. Every week, one group member will give a talk about
his or her recent research or about one or more interesting papers they have
read. Your attendance to the group seminar is mandatory and please be at the
seminar at least 5 mins in advance to ensure prompt start of the talk. For
the presenter, please come to my office (03-541) with your own laptop at
least 15 mins before the talk to get the projector and everything set up
well in advance. For the first seminar this semester, which will take place
next Wednesday, Sept 14, I will introduce the new members to the group, as
well as presenting a talk, "How to write a good research paper". All new
members, please prepare to give us a 1-min self-introduction.

Enjoy and look forward to seeing you next Wednesday!

Kenny