[Adapt] Cognate transformer: an automated phonological cognate reconstruction

黄致格Yvonne huang_yvonne at foxmail.com
Tue Dec 26 19:01:05 CST 2023

Hi Adapters,
The prediction of cognate reflexes(同源词重构) plays an important role in the realm of historical linguistics. This task aims to deduce the missing form of a word in one language based on the phonetic characteristics of its sister languages. While traditional methods rely on the comparative analyses conducted by human linguists, emerging technologies have introduced the application of language models to this domain.

Last time I introduced some foundational language models for cognate reflex prediction. In the upcoming talk, we will dive deeper into another language model adapted from bioinformatics, named cognate transformer. Remarkably, this model demonstrates promising efficacy in deciphering language patterns.

Time: Wed 10 am. - 11:30 am.
Meeting link(Same as Zitong has sent): https://teams.microsoft.com/l/meetup-join/19%3ameeting_M2VmMTU5MzgtODUzOC00NmU4LTg0MzktNGFjNDdiMmIwYTI1%40thread.v2/0?context=%7b%22Tid%22%3a%225cdc5b43-d7be-4caa-8173-729e3b0a62d9%22%2c%22Oid%22%3a%221a8b9fa0-af57-4a1c-9390-22d1c201d622%22%7d

Hope you will enjoy it!

Best wishes,
Yvonne