[Adapt] FW: A journal for ACM conferences?

Kenny Zhu kzhu at cs.sjtu.edu.cn
Tue Sep 8 21:29:07 CST 2015

From: ACM SIGPLAN Announcement List [mailto:SIGPLAN-ANNOUNCE at LISTSERV.ACM.ORG] On Behalf Of Michael Hicks
Sent: Tuesday, September 08, 2015 8:35 PM
To: SIGPLAN-ANNOUNCE at LISTSERV.ACM.ORG
Subject: RFC: A journal for ACM conferences?

Dear SIGPLAN member,

Allow me to introduce myself: I am Michael Hicks, Professor in Computer Science at the University of Maryland, and Chair of ACM SIGPLAN. I began my three-year term in July 2015.

I am writing to encourage you to make your opinion heard concerning a new proposal by the ACM. The substance of the proposal is a new journal series for publishing select ACM conference proceedings, in order to recognize high-quality computer science conference publications as just as good as (or better than!) those in reputed journals.

I support the idea, with caveats, as I have written on my blog:

http://www.pl-enthusiast.net/2015/09/01/pl-conference-papers-to-get-a-journal/

Please familiarize yourself with the proposal and respond to ACM's survey, making your opinion known. Links to the proposal and the survey are in my blog post, and I've also collected them below. ACM is very interested in your feedback.

If you would like to share your opinions with me, to discuss with the executive committee, please comment on the blog, or send me an e-mail.

Thanks for your support of SIGPLAN!

Best,

-Mike Hicks, ACM SIGPLAN Chair

http://www.cs.umd.edu/~mwh/

Proposal: http://cacm.acm.org/magazines/2015/9/191173-should-conferences-meet-journals-and-where/fulltext

Survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/PACM2015

  _____

To unsubscribe from the SIGPLAN-ANNOUNCE list, click the following link:
http://listserv.acm.org/SCRIPTS/WA-ACMLPX.CGI?SUBED1=SIGPLAN-ANNOUNCE <http://listserv.acm.org/SCRIPTS/WA-ACMLPX.CGI?SUBED1=SIGPLAN-ANNOUNCE&A=1> &A=1