[Adapt] Small Changes to the Format of the Group Seminar

Kenny Zhu kzhu at cs.sjtu.edu.cn
Fri Sep 11 15:33:40 CST 2015

Dear ADAPTers,

Starting this semester, I'm making some small calibration of the format of
our group seminar, in order to improve the engagement experience of the
seminar. Here's how it will go:

First for first 45-50 mins, the speaker gives a talk as usual. In addition
to preparing the talk, the speaker will also prepare at least three quiz
questions, related to the content of the presentation. The speaker can
choose to ask these quiz questions during or after the talk. Either the
speaker or I get to pick someone to answer the questions. After the talk is
over, we will have Q&A sessions as usual and then the speaker will pick 3
people to comment on his or her talk. These three people must be someone
who's not very familiar with the speaker's work. If you are in the audience
and are picked to answer a quiz question or comment on the talk, but are
unable to give a satisfactory answer, you might be the one to present at the
next group seminar.:-) So, please listen carefully during the talk!

To the speakers of the talks, please remember to:

1)      Prepare your slides and quiz questions (make sure you yourself know
the answer) early

2)      Send the announcement of your talk (the title, abstract and your own
bio) lastest by Tuesday evening

3)      Come to my office 10 mins before the start of the seminar to pick up
projector and set up the projector at Room 528.

Again, attendance to the group seminar to *compulsory* for all the ADAPT
members.

Next week's first seminar will be presented by Yu, Changjiang and Yi on the
Dead code detection in Scala compiler source.

Thanks and see you next week!

Kenny