[Adapt] [Seminar][Culture Differeces]

Bill Y. Lin yuchenlin at sjtu.edu.cn
Tue Sep 27 19:00:47 CST 2016

Dear Adapters,

	Tomorrow, I will give a talk about our work in this summer. The seminar will take place at 4:30 pm at SEIEE 3-528 tomorrow as usual.
	Opinions toward famous persons, places and organizations can be very different from culture to culture. Recognizing such cultural differences is important in effective cross-lingual and cross-cultural communications. In this paper, we present a framework that automatically computes such cultural differences of a given entity between English and Chinese by mapping it into two embedding vector spaces. The two embeddings are made comparable by either learning a linear transformation model, or by merging the two spaces into a higher-dimensional space based on word-to-word translations. Our experiments showed that these methods outperform the baseline methods by substantial margins in detecting culturally different named entities.

Bill