CS7330 Introduction to Web Search and Mining
The World Wide Web (WWW) is the largest source of open-domain information today. The popularization of the web has revolutionized the way people search and retrieve information. This course presents the fundamental theory and practice behind web search engines and introduce some basic techniques to extract information and mine knowledge from the web, with an emphasis on text documents. After learning from this course, you should be able to understand the basic internals of a web search engine, and perhaps build a small search engine of yourself. On the other hand, you should get enough hands-on experience to write a crawler to extract data from the web and do various data analytics on the acquired data.
- 2021/2/27: Assignment 1 released.
- 2021/3/5: Assignment 2 released. Please be careful with your email subject.
- 2021/3/12: Assignment 3 released.
- 2021/3/26: Assignment 5 released.
- 2021/4/3: Assignment 6 released.
- 2021/4/9: Assignment 7 released.
- 2021/4/16: Assignment 8 released.
- 2021/4/16: Project description is released below. Please bid for your
choices of topic ASAP and by April 26. Notice that there's a
peer review form that each of you need to fill up about your team
members after you complete the project. This form needs to be
submitted individually to TA by the project deadline.
We will schedule a demo of your project some time after June 19.
Exact time will be announced here.
- 2021/4/23: Assignment 8 released.
- 2021/5/07: Assignment 10 released. Project demo date will be released here
Lectures: Fri 14:00-16:30, DZY 2-106
Instructor: Kenny Zhu
- SEIEE 03-407 Phone: 3420-4592
Office hours: by appointment via email or ask after class
Qi Jia and Ruolan Yang - SEIEE 03-341
Email: TA email
Office hours: Thursday 4-5 PM
- Introduction to Information Retrieval, Jul 7, 2008, by Christopher D. Manning and Prabhakar Raghavan
- Modern Information Retrieval: The Concepts and Technology behind Search (2nd Edition), by Ricardo Baeza-Yates, Berthier Ribeiro-Neto
- Mining the Web: Discovering Knowledge from Hypertext Data Hardcover - October 23, 2002, by Soumen Chakrabarti
- Web Information Retrieval (Data-Centric Systems and Applications), Aug 30, 2013, by Stefano Ceri and Alessandro Bozzon
- Web Data Mining: Exploring Hyperlinks, Contents, and Usage Data (Data-Centric Systems and Applications), Aug 6, 2013, by Bing Liu
- Quizzes: 30%
- Assignments: 30%
- Group Project: 40%
Peer Review Form
||Introduction, Boolean Retrieval, Vocabulary||[pdf]
||IIR Ch. 1-2||
||IIR Ch. 3||Assignment 2 [tex] [pdf]
||Index Construction and Index Compression (I)||[pdf]
||IIR Ch. 4-5||Assignment 3 [tex]
||Index Compression (II), Scoring, Term Weighting and Vector Space Model||[pdf]
||IIR Ch. 5-6||Assignment 4 [tex] [pdf]
||Scoring and Complete Search System, Web Basics (I)||
||IIR Ch. 19, 20||Assignment 5[tex]
||Web Basics (II)||[pdf]
||IIR Ch. 20||Assignment 6 [tex] [pdf]
||IIR Ch. 21||Assignment 7 [tex]
||IIR Ch. 8
||Assignment 8 [tex]
||IIR Ch. 9
Assignment 9 [tex] [pdf]
||Text Classification, Probabilistic Retrieval Model, Language Model||[pdf]
||IIR Ch. 10, 11, 12
Assignment 10 [tex] [pdf]
Copyright (c) Kenny Q. Zhu, 2016-2021.